Suitable for vegetarians
- 400g (14oz) strong wholemeal flour
- 110g (4oz) strong white flour
- 30g (1oz) fresh yeast
- 15g (½oz) salt
- 255ml (9oz) water
- 85g (3oz) sultanas
- 85g (3oz) walnuts
- Handful flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Mix the flour, yeast, salt and water in a bowl with your hands until it becomes a soft, pliable dough.
- Place the dough on to a lightly floured, flat surface and knead for five minutes. Put the dough back in the bowl and leave to rise for an hour.
- Bring the dough out and mix the sultanas and walnuts into it.
- Shape the dough into a loaf, and roll the loaf in flaked almonds.
- With a sharp knife, cut a line down the centre of the loaf.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Published with the kind permission of safefood.
Valued for its foodie and household uses, honey has also gained respect for its healing properties read more
In addition to sunlight’s soothing warmth, we need it to create vitamin D read more
Interview with Carer of the Year
I do remember my darkest moments, thinking my life was over as I knew it read more
Who’s Here To Help
Headway aims to help people to rebuild their lives after a brain injury read more
Research & Hope
Acupuncture originated in China, where traditional medicine believes that the body functions at its optimum when it is in balance read more
I Wish Someone Had Told Me
“… it’s OK to ask for and accept help. Even if you think you are wonder woman, you cannot be everything to everyone” read more
You Couldn’t Make This Up
“Bunny …often needed to be imaginative and then even more imaginative to survive. She told us this story with much laughter.” read more
Easy, healthy Recipes
A selection of easy-to-prepare recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner read more